The Claneil Foundation has set the following criteria for eligibility:
- The organization is located and/or serves constituents within the Foundation's grantmaking region; or
- The organization has been invited to submit a proposal by a foundation director;
- The organization has been certified as tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1), (2), or (3) of the Internal Revenue Code; and,
- The organization is not a private foundation.
- If the organization is a religious institution, it may only apply for nonsectarian activities.
Although organizations may be considered for funding in the Community Grant Program and Special Project Fund in the same funding year, the Foundation does not accept multiple applications in the same funding cycle.